Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Knux - Cappuccino

I want to apologize to hip hop. For someone who claims to love all kinds of music, I haven't give the genre the attention it deserves. If it was one of my unborn children, it would probably sue me for negligence and win. That being said, songs that blow me away and leave me at a loss for description, like "Cappuccino," renew my love of the genre and give me faith in the artists. The Knux are totally genre bending and their orgy of dirty guitar riffs, dirty breaks, and (you guessed it) dirty hip hop make a perfect soundtrack for cruising the streets of LA.
This amalgamation of sounds makes them as much hipster and hip hop; their debut Remind Me In Three Days weaves successfully through different genres over the course of the album, as though given carte blanche to club hop up and down Hollywood Blvd. in the same evening.
But it was "Cappuccino" that really grabbed me, and stands out as one of the strongest tracks on an album full of strong tracks.
Just to be clear - the song is actually, not actually about cappuccino. Or, apparently, mocha. I wish I could say I know what they're talking about, but I don't - quite possibly because I'm not cool enough. My guess is that it's about cocaine, or bitches, or both, as these are prevalent motifs throughout the album. Regardless, laid back beats, overtly sensual rhythmic thrusts, and vocals that sound as though the Knux took a break from blow to toke a joint, are the soundtrack for the larger than life but true to reality Los Angeles of Entourage.
So skip three cappuccinos and spend the money on the album instead - it's well worth it.

Sip on some Cappuccino

No comments: