Monday, October 13, 2008

Kaiser Chiefs' "Love's Not A Competition but I'm Winning (Nelsen Grover Mix)"

Apparently, numerous experiments were done dealing with buttons that, when pushed, will bring the button pusher intense, orgasmic joy. The closest thing I have to this is on my ipod shuffle, which is just about the size of what an intense joy button should be and today allowed me to hit the little back button repeatedly to listen to this remix.
I discovered this bootleg completely by accident, hunting through my iTunes for more Kaiser Chiefs after hearing their new killer, Ronson produced single. The original tune is great, and in my humble opinion, stands out from a slew of forgettable tracks on the sophomore Yours Truly, Angry Mob with an Echo and the Bunnymen feel, and a wistfulness completely uncharacteristic of the rowdy Kaiser Chiefs.
But it is this one hit wonder of a remix from a Dutch, Armani Exchange wearing DJ with 315 friends on MySpace that really caught my attention. He does all my favorite things with this, from choosing an original I like to incorporating a tad bit of nu-wave and keeping in line with the Chiefs' self image.
There's the disco influence that I'm digging, sneaking in there in the beginning, some synths to appeal my neverending lust, and a house beat that could only still be cool in Europe. Sure it gets a little self indulgent towards the end, but when has that ever mattered to someone drunk /high/gyrating against a perfect stranger on the dancefloor? Most importantly (and orgasmically), Grover is not afraid to go with the foolproof house standard of a buildup and a big fat dropping of the beat, which inevitably inspires the Pavlovian response of pumping a fist in the air and jumping around like a maniac. Or just hitting repeat.

Check out the remix and see Nelsen's 315 friends for yourself.

The original should be easy enough to find via the usual routes. . .

No comments: