Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Friendly Fires' "Friendly Fires"

As a frequent, and almost abusive music listener, I'm constantly looking for an artist to fall in love with, or at least develop a serious crush on. I can honestly say I haven't been this excited about an artist since Lykke Li, and I haven't been this excited about an indie band since Hot Chip, which is saying something. Being well into my singles, it's rare I get into an album, but I liked so many of the songs on Friendly Fires' self-titled debut (XL Recordings) that I thought the whole album earned itself an entry. I was initially grabbed by "Jump In the Pool", their atmospheric but surprisingly energetic single rampant with buoyant percussion (bongos maybe?) They bear many similarities to fellow Brits Bloc Party, the main difference being that Friendly Fires are far more interesting. All their songs are well structured and layered, neatly bound in some meticulous production, which has to be done when you're flaunting disco beats. "Strobe" has that softer sound that might be found in Bloc Parties "Blue Line", but it is tracks like the compact, stuttering "On Board" with its raw vocals and punchy beats that remind me of what excited me about this band. And last but not least, there's "Skeleton Boy". The disco takes a back seat to heartfelt indie rock croonings; though emotive enough to be a ballad "Skeleton Boy" is too textured and jagged and ends up sounding more like a child of the Cure, which is definitely a good thing. The band is on tour with Lykke Li, and most likely about to blow up.

Check them out at their myspace: www.myspace.com/friendlyfires
Or just buy the record, you'll love it.

No comments: